GURUGRAM: The station house officer of Sadar police station in Gurugram has been arrested for allegedly raping a woman repeatedly and threatening to circulate a video that he had recorded of the act.
Dalbir Singh, who was set to retire next year, was sent to the police lines after the woman, a resident of Mohanagarh in Jind, lodged a complaint against him on Friday. He was arrested on Saturday after an internal inquiry.
The woman has alleged that she felt so helpless and frustrated that she even considered committing suicide. In November 2017, she had got married to a person from Uddana in Jind, but the couple started showing signs of discord within months. The woman approached police against her husband, and the case was transferred to the all-woman police station (west) in Gurugram. She had visited the police station in May this year in connection with her complaint when she met Singh at the main gate. “He asked me where I had come from. I told him I was from Mohanagarh in Jind. The officer said he, too, was from Pindara from the same district. He assured me all help and asked for my phone number. I trusted him, and gave him the number,” the woman said in her complaint.
She alleged that since then, the officer kept calling her repeatedly and even got her a job in a restaurant to augment her living. The woman said that on July 10, she was waiting for a bus to go to Gurugram from Jind when Singh arrived in his Swift car and offered to drop her.
“After crossing the Pindara bypass, the police officer covered the windows with dark sun guards. He also covered the front and rear windscreens and raped me in the car in an isolated spot. He then dropped me in Gurugram,” the woman alleged.
According to the complaint, Singh asked the woman to meet him in his quarters the next day. “I went there to confront him. He tried to pacify me and gave me a drink, which was laced with sedatives. After I fell unconscious, he raped me again and recorded the act in his mobile phone,” she alleged.
The officer allegedly sent the video to her mobile phone and threatened to circulate it if she didn’t give in to his demands. Frustrated with the exploitation, the woman decided to commit suicide.
“I was about jump in the Rani lake (in Jind) when a cop saw me and persuaded me to change my mind. He helped me file the complaint against the police officer,” she said. On the basis of the complaint, a case was registered against Singh at the all-woman police station of Jind under sections 376(2)(n) (repeated rape) and 376(2)(f) (rape a relative, guardian or a person of trust) of the IPC along with Section 67A (publishing or transmitting of material containing sexually explicit act) of the IT Act. “A case was registered on Friday. He (the officer) was arrested on Saturday,” said Jind police chief Ashwin. He said Singh had been produced in court and remanded in three days’ custody.


Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here